PNB Resolutions From D.C. Meeting
October 1-3, 2004
Resolutions from PNB meeting October 1-3, 2004
in Rockville MD (D.C. area)
The text of these resolutions compiled by the PNB secretary is subject to approval of the PNB.
1. MOTION by Spooner to approve all minutes included
in board packet supplied for this meeting:
4/28/04, 4/28/04 executive session, 5/26/04,
6/4-6/04, 6/6/04 executive session, 6/22&7/2/04,
7/16/04, 7/26/04, 8-/23/04.
2. MOTION by Adelson as amended: that the PNB authorize one day
of fundraising on all 5 stations to raise revenue to fund
Radio for Peace International's (RFPI) return to the air,
in exchange for which we will contract with RFPI for RFPI
to broadcast a Pacifica stream via shortwave radio.
A contract with RFPI will be established before conducting
the national day of fundraising.
3. MOTION by Shields that the PNB choose the budget without
central services ( 3%) and that in 6 months the Archive
conduct a real cost analysis of the whole Archive budget.
4. MOTION: Next highest vote getter in original committee election, Adelson, elected by proclamation to fill vacant seat on the FSRN contract negotiating of the PNB.
5. MOTION by Shields that the ballot mailing be delayed
until the candidate statements are ready to be mailed
with the ballots
6. MOTION to amend by substitution by Walker as amended: that
the Pacifica National office will cause an ADA compliance
audit of Pacifica facilities: a. establish a list of
short-term projects that can be completed within the
current capital budget; b. establish a list of long-term
projects that can be completed in conjunction with raising
long term capital funding; c. that timelines will be created
for each of these to be approved by the PNB.
7. MOTION by Roberts: whereas the PNB recognizes both
the concerns of the WBAI LSB and the management and
whereas the PNB needs to adopt a FY05 budget for Pacifica,
the PNB hereby chooses to approve the WBAI Budget Proposal #3,
and directs the National Finance Committee to revisit said
budget by November 15, 2004; and further endorses the National
Finance Committee requirement that the WBAI LSB, Management,
the Executive Director, and the Chief Financial Officer work
to improve the WBAI fundraising performance and premium fulfillment.
[WBAI Budget Proposal #3 includes $171k in cuts from WBAI management original proposed budget, but no cuts in labor]
8. MOTION to amend by substitution by Walker as amended:
that the Pacifica National Office does not initiate a
hiring process for the National Program Director until
the Programming Committee has developed policy on national
programming and a resolution is brought forth for approval
by the Pacifica Nation Board at the March 2005 meeting.
9. MOTION by Lane as amended: that the provisions in the Pacifica bylaws, Article 5,
Section 7, and Article 7, Section 9 whereby a member
ceases to be a member after missing 3 consecutive meetings
be applied to committees of the PNB, such that any committee
member who misses 3 consecutive committee meetings shall
no longer be a member of the committee, and that the chair
of the committee shall notify the chair of the PNB and
the respective LSB of any pending suspension from the committee.
10. MOTION by Lane as amended: that the PNB schedule a bylaws convention in the Fall of 2005 after September 30th and prior to March 30 , 2006, and that notices commence six months beforehand PASSES without objection
11. MOTION by Roberts as amended: that the Pacifica National
Board hereby approve the FY05 budget with the following
adjustments: establishing a line item for board training of
$25k; increasing to full funding of legal expenses at $311k;
that the PNB revisit the implications of negotiations
re: national programming and the WBAI budget by 12/3/04; and
with an accommodation for an ADA audit at the five stations,
Pacifica Radio Archives and National office.
12. MOTION by Spooner that 3rd Governance committee resolution
presented during the Saturday session be sent back to the
13. MOTION by Schroell that the PNB authorize the current
FSRN working group to also work on the RFPI agreement
negotiation in a similar manner.
14. MOTION by Roberts to refer Oluguson motion to governance committee
Motion to refer
15. MOTION by Manning to refer the Lane motion to
the national finance committee and LSB finance
committees for comments.
16. MOTION by Warren as amended: that the PNB highly encourage
the five sister stations of Pacifica and it's affiliates
to ensure fair and thorough coverage of all ballot accessed
candidates, leaving the judgement to the program director
to implement this.
17. MOTION by Adelson to divide the Olusagun motion
MOTION by Adelson that PNB reaffirm of the policy of the
iPNB on Race and Nationality
MOTION by Adelson to approve the 2nd part of Olusagun
motion that establishes the Race and Nationality Committee
as part of the Committees of Inclusion (C.O.I.)
18. MOTION by Walker as amended: to postpone the Race
and Nationality discussion until when the PNB would hold
a "Day of Diversity" to coincide with the Pacifica Annual
Meeting in January 2005; that the C.O.I conduct planning
for that day; and that the Race and Nationality issue be
brought back to the full PNB within one month from the date
of this PNB meeting so as to address the issue prior to the
retiring of this PNB term.
19. MOTION by Roberts as amended: that the PNB authorize
the five LSB chairs to attend the January 2005 PNB meeting
at Pacifica's expense and that the ED, CFO, and 5 GMs be
part of the retreat held at the January meeting.
20. Date of next of Pacifica National Board regular meeting:
Chair informs board to set aside Thursday January 13th noon
to end of Monday Jan 17, 2005
21. MOTION by Walker amended: that KPFK work with the
Pacifica C.O.I to create a host committee to plan
for the participation of the Pacifica Foundation
board and staff members in the Martin Luther King
Parade in Los Angeles on January 17, 2005.
22. Chair confirms next special PNB meeting:
23. MOTION by Adelson regarding unbudgeted interunit transfers:
Whereas the PNB passed a resolution at its Aug. 28, 2004
teleconference meeting requesting that the National Finance
Committee develop a policy for unbudgeted inter unit
transfers to be brought before the PNB for approval at
the October 2004 PNB meeting,
24. MOTION by Adelson regarding the fcc and micropower broadcasting:
Whereas, the Federal Communications Commission has in recent
weeks renewed attacks on micropower broadcasters similar to
the attacks that occurred in the late 1990's, which in turn
led to the mass movement that ultimately impelled the FCC to
create a new class of micropower licensing,
25. MOTION by Shields that the PNB mandates the ED and the GM
of WBAI immediately mail to the paid and unpaid staff
the surveys of the management evaluation approved by
the WBAI LSB, the mailing to be witnessed by several
members of the WBAI LSB and the LSB chair.
26. MOTION to amend Olusagun motion by Manning that
the PNB acknowledges the great value of the D.C. Radio Co-op
MOTION by to amend the amendment by Adelson: and to
refer the Olusagun motion to the WPFW LSB
Motions passed in executive session:
27. MOTION by Spooner that board refer to the Coordinating
Committee further work and discussion in vetting a new
attorneys for Pacifica
28. MOTION by Spooner that Executive Review Committee report be
entered into the record
29. MOTION by Roberts as amended: Pursuant to the bylaws and
the recommendations of the Executive Review Committee and
Dr. John Vogelsang, we hereby resolve to appoint a Special
Personnel Committee consisting of one PNB member from each
station selected via STV to form specific performance objectives
and suggest terms and conditions for the Executive Director and
report back to the PNB by 11-1-04, to be followed by recommendations
general evaluation policies throughout Pacifica.
Results of Special Personnel Committee election:
top of page | PNB index | home