Boycott KPFK - info
[ From the Pacifica Campaign ]
Friends in Houston, Bay Area, DC, and NY Area, please feel free to let the people at KPFK know how you feel about their efforts here in LA to find funds for their network-wrecking.
BOYCOTT THE FUND DRIVE AT KPFK -PACIFICA RADIO 90.7FM PLEASE DON'T FUND THE DESTROYERS OF THE PACIFICA RADIO NETWORK
INFORMATIONAL PICKET AND PRESENCE DAILY AT KPFK 4- 5:30 DEMO SATURDAY NOV. 3 AT KPFK 12 NOON - 2PM
Last week, the staff at KPFK - Pacifica Radio in Los Angeles opposed the fall fund drive in a letter written to the overseeing Pacifica National Board. Citing "bills that are months overdue," and that "employees owed as much as $1200 are simply ignored," as well as "no petty cash," and " despite endless promises, no accounting of the financial state of this network," they concluded:"We find it inappropriate and ultimately immoral to ask our listeners to donate another penny to this organization as long as it refuses to account for the funds received."
Despite their efforts toward accountability, KPFK began pitching on October 31st. Berkeley station KPFA "Flashpoints" host Noelle Hanrahan reported on Octber 31st, "KPFK has just begun its fund drive, despite their demands for bills payments and opening the books NOT being answered. At a meeting with the staff, Pacifica Board Chair, Bob Farrell, demanded the fund drive begin, ...and they caved."
Bob Farrell is applying pressure to get money from Southern California listeners. But we can boycott to express our outrage over the fiscal unaccountability and neglect at the stations while the Pacifica National Board uses our funds for high-priced lawyers, public relations firms and security companies to maintain their tenuous grip over our radio network.
In Pacifica's FY2000 the current board majority and managers spent a staggering $500,000 of listener money on anti-union law firms and $440,000 more on security. Dissident board members estimate this year's leagl bills have already topped one million dollars. Meanwhile, an investigation by the Pacifica Campaign has revealed that in the past couple of years, executive salaries skyrocketed. ( For information, go to http://www.pacificaboycott.org).
KPFK station manager Mark Schubb's salary shot up from $56,000 in 1999 to nearly $72,000 in 2000. What are we paying for? Mark Schubb has kept "Democracy Now!" off the air at KPFK, even though it is still being broadcasted from KPFA in Berkeley. David Barsamian's "Alternative Radio" was silenced and KPFK continues to lack community announcements, and real racial diversity. Meanwhile, due to the policies of the Pacifica National Board, we no longer receive "Free Speech Radio News," daily cutting-edge newscasts by Pacifica's stringer journalists. Ironically, under the current administration, the great programs our network created are heard throughout the country on affiliate stations and on the internet, yet our Pacifica stations have shut them out!
Every cent you give to KPFK will be directly under the control of the ruling majority of the Pacifica National Board. Don't pay them to destroy our network. Instead:
- Join the Pacifica boycott. Give your support to efforts to preserve the network. Addresses for places to send funds are listed at the bottom of this email.
- Call the KPFK pledge line; express your opinions about the current destruction of Pacifica. 818-985-5735.
- Participate in an informational presence and picket held by the Pacifica Campaign at the station nightly from 4-6. Address and directions are below. - Demonstrate on Saturday November 3, from 12 noon to 2pm. Many working people have asked us to have a demonstration on Saturday where latest news and analysis will be shared.
- Contact station manager Mark Schubb; tell him you will not pledge; express your opinions about the destruction of Pacifica, and absence of "Democracy Now!," "Alternative Radio," and community programming. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Free Pacifica Neighborhood Network. To find a group near you, call 323-878-5680.
- Please give generously to one or all national efforts to regain our network. Make checks payable to:
Vanguard Public Foundation (The lawsuits)
Agape Foundation Free Speech Radio Fund (Additional cross complaint lawsuit
by Board members)
Institute for Media Analysis / Pacifica Campaign (Pacifica Campaign to Stop
KPFK is located at 3729 Cahuenga Blvd. West in North Hollywood: Driving North on Route 101 (Hollywood Freeway) to Nothbound Lankershim exit; stay in left exit lane, turn left onto Lankershim Bvd., turn left onto Cahuenga Blvd. Or driving south on Route 101 to southbound Lankershim exit; stay in the middle exit lane; turn right onto Cahuenga Blvd.
The Pacifica Campaign is a grass-roots organization representing listeners and staff alike, fighting to regain and preserve the Pacifica Network's 50-year tradition of progressive community-based radio.
top of page | home